Eric Peter Jacobsen, 03-23-08
Daniel Cook
David Silveira
Byron Carrillo

Coast Guard searches for missing crewman

By RACHEL D'ORO, The Associated Press, Published: March 24th, 2008

The Coast Guard searched through the night for one crew member missing from a fishing vessel that sank off Alaska's Aleutian Islands, killing the captain and three crew members. Forty-two crew members were rescued.

The Seattle-based Alaska Ranger started taking on water shortly before 3 a.m. Sunday after losing control of its rudder 120 miles west of Dutch Harbor, which is on Unalaska Island.

One person fell into the water from a rescue basket as it was being lifted into a rescue helicopter, Coast Guard Lt. Eric Eggen said. It was not clear if that was the missing crew member.

"It could be, but we're not sure," he said.

The helicopter was low on fuel and could not perform an immediate search, Eggen said.

The 184-foot ship's owner, the Fishing Co. of Alaska, said in a statement that it did "not have sufficient information to determine why the vessel foundered."

Waves up to 8 feet and 25-knot winds were reported at the time the ship sank, said Chief Petty Officer Barry Lane. He said the Coast Guard was investigating the cause of the sinking.

The company identified the captain as Eric Peter Jacobsen, 65, of Lynnwood, Wash. His son, Scott Jacobsen, told KIRO-TV in Seattle the family wants to know what would cause such a large vessel to sink under conditions it should have been able to withstand.

"(It) raises the question something was wrong, went really wrong, so we're interested in the details," he said. "Things like that don't just happen. My dad's been fishing all his life and he's never had anything remotely close to this happen."

Some of those onboard the Alaska Ranger were taken to Dutch Harbor in the sunken vessel's sister ship, the Alaska Warrior. The ship arrived about midnight at a private dock, where access to survivors was not allowed. The vessel took part in the rescue operation along with two Coast Guard helicopters that were used to pluck crew members from the water and from life rafts, Lane said.

At least 13 of the crew members were not in life rafts, and were picked out of the ocean along a mile stretch. They were wearing survival suits and had strobe lights.

Other survivors were onboard the Coast Guard cutter Munro, which remained at the scene to search for the missing crew member. A C-130 airplane also helped search for the missing crew member, whose name was not released, and a helicopter was to join the search again at daylight.

In addition to Jacobsen, the company identified the dead as chief engineer Daniel Cook, hometown unknown; mate David Silveira of San Diego; and crewman Byron Carrillo, believed to be from Seattle. The company did not give their ages.

"They were incredibly brave, hard-working men. Our hearts are broken," the company said in a statement.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported Monday that the company owner, Karena Adler, has an address in Mercer Island, Wash., a Seattle suburb, but could not be reached for comment. The Associated Press could not reach her Monday morning because she has an unlisted number.

State environmental regulators were notified that the ship was carrying 145,000 gallons of diesel when it sank, according to Leslie Pearson, emergency response manager for the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

According to initial reports, an oil sheen covered an area of a quarter mile by a half mile, Coast Guard spokesman Ray Dwyer said. The strong wind made any cleanup effort unlikely, but the conditions also would disperse a spill more quickly than calm weather, Pearson said.

In December, an engine fire damaged another of the company's ships, the Alaska Patriot, while it was docked near Dutch Harbor. No one was injured in the blaze.

In 2006, the Fishing Co. of Alaska, the owner of a catcher-processor ship it managed and the ship's captains were fined a combined $254,500. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Fisheries Service said the company -- as well as the ship's owner, Alaska Juris Inc., and its captains -- committed numerous violations, such as tampering with or destroying equipment used by industry observers and failing to provide observers a safe work area.

Federal officials said the case stemmed from a multiyear investigation that documented a range of federal violations, including keeping inaccurate information on required reports and fishing contrary to seasonal closures.

Associated Press writer Elizabeth M. Gillespie in Seattle contributed to this report.